We recently covered the United States' Ship (U.S.S.) Harry S. Truman's deployment to the Arabian Sea in the post "More Lies Damned Lies And Aircraft Carriers".
At that time the carrier had yet to return home and was in Greece.
Her air wing Carrier Air Wing (C.V.W) 3 returned to Naval Air Station Oceania Naval Station Norfolk Chambers Field on the 17th and 19th of December 2010.
The rest of the carrier group arrived at Norfolk Virginia on the 20th of December 2010.
In the 213 days she was deployed,U.S.S. Harry S. Truman generated 9,120 sorties,27,068 flight hours and 7,940 arrested carrier landings.
From these figures we can deduce that about 43 sorties were flown on an average day.
The average sortie lasted about 3 hours and about 87% of sorties were by fixed wing aircraft and the remaining 13% by helicopters.
Of particular interest is the size of the returning carrier wing:
"Beginning Saturday,the "Rawhides" from Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40, Detachment 4,will arrive at Naval Station Norfolk Chambers Field on two C-2A Greyhound aircraft.
About 40 men and women, including flight crews and support personnel, are in the detachment.
On Sunday, the "Seahawks" from Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 126 will arrive at Chambers Field with four E-2C Hawkeye aircraft and 20 aviators.
Also on Sunday,the "Swordsmen" of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 32, the "Bulls" of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 37,and the "Gunslingers" of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 105 will return to Naval Air Station Oceana.
VFA 32 will return flying 12 F/A-18F "Super Hornets", VFA 37 will return flying 10 F/A-18C "Hornets," and VFA 105 will return flying 12 F/A-18E "Super Hornets.""
With 2 Greyhounds,4 Hawkeyes and 32 Hornets and Super Hornets,Harry S. Truman's air group is very similar to that of the Royal Navy's Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers which are expected to carry up to 36 F35C Lighting IIs and 4 E2D Hawkeyes (or equivalent).